Monday, September 7, 2015

My Loves + My Hates

I can't help but think to myself that the timing for taking the Advanced Typography course couldn't be better. Why? This summer, I realized: TYPOGRAPHY IS EVERYTHING. I mean, the typography bug really bit me. Anytime I wasn't at work, I was endlessly scrolling through pages and pages of typefaces. The interior design bug bit me too. I always knew my love for drawing and painting would combine easily with graphic design but I never in a million years thought my random love for home decor would. I am so inspired by Scandinavian design in particular, it's minimalistic but statement pieces are living example of good design. Besides those two disciplines, I have discovered that album art is something that I would love to do as a career. I recently discovered Alex Kirzhner, who has received Grammy nominations for outstanding work in album design and limited edition packaging. Here are a few examples of what I believe is good design based on my summer interests.













Unfortunately my eyes have also feasted upon some terrible design. Working as a production artist at a t-shirt company, I have noticed that the general public isn't exactly aware of good kerning. I have also not been a fan of these fitness ads that I have been seeing on Pinterest. My feed is flooded with images of butts with hot pink borders. And finally, I have learned that I have to warm up to the concept of corporate-esque (?) flyers/informational packets. I just believe there's a more modern way to do corporate design now a days.

  













No comments:

Post a Comment